Thursday, May 9, 2013

Men's Shirt to Dress

So I got a bunch of men's button down shirts at the good will outlet and I wanted to make some clothing for Jill with them.  Here is my first attempt:

*for a more detailed and complete tutorial on my second shirt-dress go here*























There are many many flaws and improvisations, but I still can't help being in love with the results.

I failed to take pictures of the process, but I can give a general description of what I did, and I will hopefully eventually make another where I can chart my progress more accurately. First I cut the button down shirt straight across the bottom just under the arm holes.  Then I ran a basting stitch all the way around and gathered it.  I cut a basic yoke shape out of the remaining material and then attached it to the gathered 'skirt'.  I bound all of my raw edges with brown bias tape (I actually got this brown bias off of re-purposed crib bumper ties).  I then bought a snap kit at the fabric store and attached snap bases to the back of the 'skirt'  and two sets of snap tops to the bias ties coming up out of the shoulder straps.  This allows me to either cross the ties in the back or snap them straight back and tie a bow.  You'll see what I mean in the two different back pictures above and below.   


 All in all I think that this is precious and I can't wait to learn from my mistakes and try another.



No comments:

Post a Comment